Notes and Definitions
Guide to Country Profiles
Guide to Rank Order Pages
Flags of the World
Text/Low Bandwidth Version
- Country information has been updated as of 17 January 2008.
- In the Geography category, two new fields focus on the increasingly vital resource of water: “Total renewable water resources” and “Freshwater withdrawal.”
- In the Economy category, three fields have been added that focus on capital stocks and investment. They are "Stock of direct foreign investment - at home," "Stock of direct foreign investment - abroad," and "Market value of publicly traded shares."
- In the Notes and Definitions, c oncise descriptions have been added of the major religions mentioned in the Factbook .
- Several notable geographic changes have occurred. The US Board on Geographic Names (BGN) now recognizes Timor-Leste as the short form name for East Timor ; its description may be found under this new designation. France 's overseas possessions have been reorganized. The five former entities of Bassas da India, Europa Island , Glorioso Islands , Juan de Nova Island, and Tromelin Island , previously grouped as Iles Eparses ( Scattered Islands ), now constitute a district of the French Southern and Antarctic Lands . Additionally, the islands of St. Barthelemy and St. Martin, formerly a part of the French overseas region of Guadeloupe , now make up separate overseas collectivities and have their own Factbook entries.
- Revision of some individual country maps, first introduced in the 2001 edition, is continued in this edition. Several regional maps have also been updated to reflect boundary changes and place name spelling changes.
is a copy of the CIA
by Imago Mundi. An
and adapted version in French is also provided.